The Yard/Driver are responsible for the customer service experience as it is provided to contractors, builders and customers during the picking and loading of purchased products. The Yard/Driver role must have the ability to effectively communicate to customers and coworkers to ensure friendly, efficient and accurate picking of products. The Driver must have the ability to effectively communicate to customers and coworkers, ensuring timely deliveries as scheduled. The Yard/Driver role is expected to understand and adhere to all Health and Safety guidelines to ensure the safety of themselves and all those involved.
Reports to: Branch Manager and Yard Foreman
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets customers as they enter the yard while offering their assistance; supervising those in the yard at all times.
- Processes customer orders by locating and loading product.
- Advises customers by providing knowledge of products, their application and other services; using resources where required.
- Maintains open communication with yard staff and retail staff.
- Protects and supports the business, customers and fellow bystanders by ensuring adherence to all Company policies, procedures and legal requirements.
- Completes circle checks.
- Exercises proper load building, securing and unloading techniques.
- Wears personal protective equipment.
- Sustains yard cleanliness and required maintenance.
- Meets company standards for customer service through meeting the delivery expectations of the customer; delivering all product as scheduled, in good condition and rectifying variances as they occur.
- Supports the business by proactively organizing routes and delivery schedules to ensure efficient and timely service.
- Processes customer deliveries as scheduled regarding the potential for change.
- Maintains proper maintenance of company vehicles.
- Aware of products being transported; adjusting loading, securing and dumping techniques as required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for any and all other duties as may be required from time to time in accordance with proper training and certification requirements; includes acting as a secondary driver.
- General interest in the construction industry
- Experience or knowledge with related products and services
- Vocational training an asset
- Experience of construction industry an asset
- Load building, securing and dumping experience an asset
- Customer focused
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Product Knowledge
- Detailed oriented
- General math skills
- Ability to work in a fast pace work environment
- Minimum lift requirements of 66 lbs
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to stand for long periods of time