Reports to: Yard Manager
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Living the Turkstra Values:
- Provide world-class customer service and quality building products.
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment for all.
- Commits to safety by following company safety rules, regulations and policies.
- Follows Uniform policy; wears proper Personal Protective Equipment.
- Supports company Health and Safety initiatives by identifying and reporting potential unsafe conditions or hazards.
- Maintains a clean and neat work environment.
- Act with integrity in all our dealings with customers and suppliers.
- Build our future based on traditional values.
- Support the communities in which we work.
- Stand behind our products and services.
- Always on the level.
- Greets and advises customers by providing useful knowledge of products and services; using resources where required.
- Processes customer orders by locating and loading product into customer and company vehicles, exercising proper load building, securing and unloading techniques.
- Follows Turkstra’s approach to World Class Customer Service.
- Seeks to earn 100% of the customer’s business (100% wallet share).
- Accurately and quickly process returns on site with full product codes and returns material to branch. – Level 2
- Uses people skills to effectively manage difficult customers, problems and complaints. – Level 3
- Follows proper procedure when opening and closing the yard.
- Responsible for maintaining branch appearance according to branch standards guidelines.
- Ensures MTO compliance by completing circle checks, logging any issues, and reporting to appropriate the management team member.
- Contributes to a positive team environment within the branch and throughout the company.
- Schedules work and ensures completeness.
- Maintains an accurate driver’s log.
- Utilizes K8 delivery app to complete deliveries, including photos and notes where required.
- Safely and effectively operates a forklift. – Level 2
- Follow best safety and insurance practices, contributing to improving Turkstra’s safe driving record. – Premium
- Supports continuous improvement.
- Works together with the branch team to achieve key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Plans routes according to best distance and travel time.
- Supports the Turkstra Lumber Build-It-Better program.
- Participates in social media opportunities and assists the Marketing Team by providing relevant content for web and social media.
- Ensures accurate route planning to maximize the number of deliveries per day combining multiple loads if possible to save time and fuel economy.
- Supports Turkstra Lumber Green initiative programs by avoiding idling and practicing fuel efficient driving practices.
- Supports Turkstra Lumber Maintenance program by ensuring truck appearance and ensuring WET Maintenance is done on schedule.
Training and Development:
- Completes Defensive Driving course through Turkstra Lumber.
- Completes courses through Carrier’s Edge.
- Obtain forklift certificate and/or Skidsteer certificate (if applicable). – Level 2
- Attend Lean Yellow-belt Training. – Level 3
- Attend LBMAO Yard & Warehouse Operations. – Level 3
- Completes Moffett/Boom truck training. – Premium
AZ Driving Responsibilities:
- Ensures error free delivery and customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for fleet maintenance (Circle Checks, air brake system and WET service).
- Practices proper load safety and securement (banding, strapping, weight and placement).
- Demonstrates proper unloading procedures.
- Understands Highway Traffic Act and follows procedures on scales and truck routes.
- Follows accident procedures (communication and documentation).
- Maintain appropriate logs for mileage, fuel consumption and road hours.
- Completes and submits paperwork for returns (communication and accuracy).
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for any and all other duties as may be required from time to time in accordance
with proper training and certification requirements.
- Responsible for complex load building for larger projects. – Level 3
- Back-up Foreman able to run the yard operations on an interim basis. – Level 3
- Coach, mentor and train new yard staff employees. – Level 3
- Follow proper procedure to open and close the yard. – Level 3
- Attends Turkstra Lumber K8 training and learns the skills to process orders and returns as needed. – Level 3
- Additional $0.50/hour wide-load premium.
- Education/Experience Requirements:
- AZ Driving Certification with 3 years of driving experience
- Must be comfortable driving a manual transmission
- Clean Driver’s Abstract
- Moffett experience strongly preferred
- General interest in the construction industry
- Experience or knowledge with related products and services
- Load building, securing and dumping experience an asset
- Experience of construction industry an asset
- Customer focused
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Product Knowledge
- Detailed oriented
- General math skills
- Ability to work in a fast pace work environment
- Some lifting required
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
Perks and Benefits:
- Benefit package.
- Deferred Profit Sharing Plan.
- Target bonuses.
- Company events.
- Employee discounts.
- Safety focused environment.
- Full time, permanent positions.
- Opportunity for overtime.
- $25.00 to $27.00/hr
- As a condition of employment, all staff are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to the start date.
Turkstra Lumber is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. We recognize that our future success depends on the perspectives and contributions of all our employees — their diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences make our business stronger. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.